Bristol Charities has four main areas of charitable funding:
- Relief in Need
- Relief in Sickness and Disability
- The Ella Mary Merchant Fund for the Relief of Carers
- Educational Funds for the Advancement of Education
- People in need, hardship or distress
- People who suffer from ill health, are convalescent or have a disability
- Carers who have limited means
- Young people under 25 who may need help funding after school activities, school trips or certain educational material
Please note all applicants must live within a 10 mile radius of the centre of Bristol. In exceptional cases, however, the Trustees may decide to assist someone who otherwise qualifies who is resident outside the City of Bristol or is only temporarily resident in the City of Bristol. Applicants can apply for a number of grants up to the value of £350 in a three-year period. There is only one voucher permitted per household.
Type of Help:
Funding is available for:
- White goods (washing machines, fridges/freezers, electric cookers) up to £350
- Small electrical equipment (vacuums and microwaves)
- Basic furniture
- Cots, beds and mattresses
- Starter packs (kitchen crockery)
- Respite breaks for carers
- Nursing/care services to provide break for carers
- Support to carers after the death of the person being cared for
We cannot help with the following:
- Tumble dryers or dishwashers
- Gas cookers
- T.V's, P.C's, or audio equipment
- Baby equipment
- Fees for those in care
- Rent arrears, DRO's or any kind of debt
How to Apply
Firstly, you must nominate a sponsor to apply on your behalf as we are unable to award grants directly to an applicant. This can be a social worker, support worker, housing officer, healthcare professional etc. Once nominated, they will need to register using the link below under the "Registering as a Sponsor" heading. We will then e-mail your sponsor an application form that they will need to fill in on your behalf. Please note this information is shared between both sponsor and the applicant.
The application will then be reviewed and a decision will be made. If you are successful, you will receive a grant offer letter upon which you will need to contact us to confirm the grant and proceed. Please see below a catalogue of the basic furniture that we supply to our applicants through our suppliers First Furnishings:
Registering as a Sponsor:
All referral agencies and sponsors are asked to complete a simple registration process in order to use our new online grant application form. Please press link below to find out how to register as a sponsor.
If you are a sponsor who has already registered and wish to make a subsequent application please refer to the instructions sent to you in your acceptance email. If you no longer have this email please contact our Grants Officer on the email address below.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact: email@example.com or ring us on 0117 930 0301.